AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

It really comes down to seeing the bigger picture.

I keep a few things in mind to remind myself not to let the world get me down

The first is that all things are solvable with logic, reason, engineering, and science. Even emotions if you take long enough to see what's below the surface.

The second is that the world is less than a spec orbiting a spec orbiting a spec in the universe, with everything so vast the universe doesn't care so I shouldn't let things drag me down either, focus on improving the situation, and myself, aim for the obtainable.

The third, is that I've read Nietzsche, and my take on it is that I wasn't born better, I made myself better and must focus on always reaching higher, helping others find the hand holds in my wake. I am the ubermensch not because of breeding and luck but because I'm striving to be my best self.

It's a bit arrogant but it's served me well.

Plus I've seen and experienced pretty terrible stuff, stuff I wouldn't wish on anyone else and I'm still here, so I'm basically always giving fate the middle finger and doing things my own way.

Truth is, I'm not sure what I'd ever do if I ever stopped to be introspective, no new skills learned, no adventures to go on, it's a bit scary really. So I don't think about it, remember those 3 things, and push forward regardless. If nothing matters or lasts forever then I shouldn't dwell on the immaterial and fleeting.
word count: 278
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Do you have any phobias?
word count: 5
Spook of the lost

Fear of death or thanatophobia is a big one, I've conquered most of my others, I used to be afraid of the dark but not for a while now.
word count: 30
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

How did you fight your fear of the dark?
word count: 9
Spook of the lost

honestly, slowly with a lot of patience.

I used to sleep with a blanket over my head every night, eventually as I grew older I started to become more confident that something wasn't going to come out of the dark to get me, but it took me the better part of a decade to get to that point.
word count: 59
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Do you have any electronics kept in your room?
Spook of the lost

heck yeah I do, there's my various computers, my game console collection, my TV, my laser disc player, the smart light bulb, my tablet, my phone when it's charging, basically my bed is the sleeping space, it's a loft bed 6ft in the air, below it is my workspace with the computers and repair equipment.

then I have a couple saucer chairs and some shelves with the TV being wall mounted outside the bed.
it was the only way to organize it in the space I have.

I've also a 1984 GE microwave (made in the USA), and a mini fridge though I haven't used either in a while.

and that's just the consumer grade stuff, there's also the various projects I've tinkered with and built over the years in various states on the shelves.
word count: 143
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Is there a room without technology in your house?
Spook of the lost

Honestly no, I've got a mixture of useful and customer technology on every room in the house. The basement is both hydroponics and the computer core for the house, every bedroom has some kind of computer interface. The kitchen has a few appliances I've got wired into the core, the lights in every room are voice control, etc, etc. It's years of tinkering.

I think the garden shed is only hand tools... But that's probably the closest unless you count that as technology as well lol.
word count: 90
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

What would you do if computers didn't exist?