Do you think aliens exist?

Come here to talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

there's also discussion about maybe sending a probe out to proxima Centauri B.

now there's an interesting planet lol.

the news claimed "new earth next door." but that's not right.

first, it's tidally locked as most habbitable zone planets around M class red dwarf stars are so one side bakes in the sun while the other freezes in darkness.
second, the star is a flare star, which means the planet is constantly bombarded with radiation.
third, being tidally locked means the core will have issues maintaing the dynamo which means a magnetic field is unlikely.

suffice to say I think we found an irradiated earth sized barren planet that's heavily irradiated and which probably looks like a giant eyeball staring into it's star.

however since it's the nearest exoplanet they want to send a probe out there...
apparently with the right slingshot trajectory they can make it in a 50 to 70 year shot.
word count: 161
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
MofaMF

Post by MofaMF »

Definitely yes! Have they travelled here and made contact/ that's a different question entirely.

Considering the universe is ever expanding and we can only see a small portion of it (let alone investigate this area) I would say the chances of there NOT being aliens is very minimal.
word count: 49
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

I think it would be a long shot if aliens didn't exist only because of how big the universe is. To be honest the universe is a big place. Even if there wasn't many which I beliee there somehow has to be, that somewhere out there they must be lurking on other planets. What interest me the most is how it could be possible that nature itself may possibly be different on other planets. Like the Dinosaurs but from another planet. I always wonder what nature is like. Or if plants are carnivorous.
word count: 95
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

TopSilver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:06 am I think it would be a long shot if aliens didn't exist only because of how big the universe is. To be honest the universe is a big place. Even if there wasn't many which I beliee there somehow has to be, that somewhere out there they must be lurking on other planets. What interest me the most is how it could be possible that nature itself may possibly be different on other planets. Like the Dinosaurs but from another planet. I always wonder what nature is like. Or if plants are carnivorous.
Those are certainly interesting things to think about! I always think about the aliens that may exist, but I've never really thought about the types of plants that might exist out there...That's an important part of world building for writing, too. I should think about this topic more often.
word count: 156
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

Juneberry wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:19 am
TopSilver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:06 am I think it would be a long shot if aliens didn't exist only because of how big the universe is. To be honest the universe is a big place. Even if there wasn't many which I beliee there somehow has to be, that somewhere out there they must be lurking on other planets. What interest me the most is how it could be possible that nature itself may possibly be different on other planets. Like the Dinosaurs but from another planet. I always wonder what nature is like. Or if plants are carnivorous.
Those are certainly interesting things to think about! I always think about the aliens that may exist, but I've never really thought about the types of plants that might exist out there...That's an important part of world building for writing, too. I should think about this topic more often.
Yeah that would be an interesting fictional book to write about. Possibly about someone traveling to another planet and what it was like. That would be a great novel to write. I can see if there was enough detail in the right way it could possibly be a really interesting book.
word count: 216
MofaMF

Post by MofaMF »

There has to be some kind of living creature somewhere. I mean they even found living organisms on the outside of the ISS.

Intelligent life is a different thing entirely but don't forget they may already be extinct or they haven't been born yet :P
word count: 46
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

honestly one of my favorite parts of astrobiology is astrobotany. I mean the fact that the colors of plants are relative to the spectrum of light they receive and evolve under means that planets with plant like life orbiting red dwarf stars will be dark in color because they need to absorb as much as possible, literally jungles of black plants.

on the flip side planets orbiting B and O type stars with lots of UV radiation might appear pale or purple in color to reflect harmful radiation while absorbing everything else. Don't forget that the color of a planet is everything but the one you see, that's the color it's reflecting away since it's not using it.

this makes green leaves interesting because they're middle of the spectrum, and why plants grow more efficiently under arrays of red and blue LED's since those are the spectrums of light they absorb most. while the power needed is far less.
word count: 165
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche