Do you think aliens exist?

Come here to talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Lex Luthor

Do you think aliens exist?

Post by Lex Luthor »

Do you think there is life that isn't on earth and we just don't know it yet?

Lately, space has been very interesting to me. I've been watching so many youtube videos, from black holes to stars to people talking about if life can even exists in other places than the planet we live on.
word count: 58
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I definitely think that, but part of that is because of my family history of claiming we're from another planet. Also a major medical facility has deemed my cousin not from this planet because of his weird constitution. But mostly, I just believe there's something out there because with so much vastness to space, there's no way we can be alone in my mind.
word count: 67
Lex Luthor

Post by Lex Luthor »

Juneberry wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pmI definitely think that, but part of that is because of my family history of claiming we're from another planet.
I'm listening :3
Juneberry wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pmBut mostly, I just believe there's something out there because with so much vastness to space, there's no way we can be alone in my mind.
Then we can also ask the question if they're still alive. I was watching a youtube video the other day saying there were once lakes on Mars when scientist were searching for life.
word count: 103
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Lex Luthor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 pm
Juneberry wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pmI definitely think that, but part of that is because of my family history of claiming we're from another planet.
I'm listening :3
My father actually put 'extra terrestrial' as our race last time the census came around. No one in the government that has access to the census cared.
Lex Luthor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 pm
Juneberry wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pmBut mostly, I just believe there's something out there because with so much vastness to space, there's no way we can be alone in my mind.
Then we can also ask the question if they're still alive. I was watching a youtube video the other day saying there were once lakes on Mars when scientist were searching for life.
The issue of lakes on Mars is pretty old data, but it really does make you hopeful, no?
word count: 168
Lex Luthor

Post by Lex Luthor »

Juneberry wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:12 pmThe issue of lakes on Mars is pretty old data, but it really does make you hopeful, no?
That's what I expected too. I'm not sure when the youtuber made the video but I'd guess it was recent because it looked good.
word count: 53
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

Greetings, Sorry for just dropping in like this but Astrobiology is a huge hobby of mine so I thought I could maybe help out ^_^.

so as to the issue of water on mars, it's not a matter of was but is.
there has been recent evidence that brine does indeed come to the surface during the martian summers in some areas and during asteroid impacts leaving these neat trails as a kind of footprint.

now while we have not found life on mars, just going by how many objects in our solar system alone have liquid water underneath their surfaces being kept warm by gravitational tides and stuff (including pluto btw), I can say without a doubt that the chances of life off earth in sol is pretty high.

there's even an unexplained chemical reaction occurring on saturn's moon titan that while not fully proven yet, points to a good possibility of a living process converting organic molecules into hydrogen similar to how microbes convert one chemical to another here on earth.

now for the real question.
are there aliens?
if you mean life in general, around other stars? i'd say definitely.
based on the numbers of rocky planets with similar mass, gravity, and system resource distribution in the habitable zones of their stars, including stars outside the K, G, and A types we're talking approximately 1 billion earth analogs in our galaxy alone.

as for intelligent life... that's still a big unknown, however it's not impossible and the numbers are in favor of it, provided it can survive long enough to ensure a permanent place in the universe.
not even humans have done that yet, in fact we're about to face our greatest challenge to survival and we have no backup plan right now so forming off world colonies is imperative.

I'd love to go into more detail of course but I don't want to write a novel for a post lol.
word count: 333
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I always feel my heart break a little bit when Pluto is left out, so seeing you mention its inclusion makes me very happy! And please, feel free to share as much as you want. You can take your time on it rather than write a novel, but still- I'd be happy to hear more! ^^
word count: 56
Spook of the lost

There's a lot to talk about when it comes to non terrestrial life and it's possibilities.
for example, water+Carbon is not the only combo.

there's carbon+ammonia
Carbon + water + Methane
Sulfer + Hydrocarbons (possibilities of this on titan).
Silicon + Ammonia

and those are just the one's I can name off the top of my head... in fact earth life started out as Carbon + Ammonia but converted into what we know as today.
and there are some crustaceans and bacteria that are sulfer based here on earth.

the one's I listed are just some of the easier one's based on what we understand so far.

have you ever read about the Gaia Hypothesis?
word count: 118
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Can't say I have! What is it generally?

And that's really amazing isn't it? The variety of combinations that can create living creatures~
word count: 26
Spook of the lost

well the Gaia Hypothesis is sorta like this.

for a planet to be habitable for life, life has to arise and maintain that equilibrium.

so ok, so like, in the first couple billion years the earth was this uninhabbitable rock, over time it's atmosphere became thicker and it was rich in organic molecules brought to it via asteroid and comet impacts.
it was primarily ammonia and Hydrogen much like the gas planets however either through lightning striking the right organic molecule pools and or through life brought from elsewhere (mars is a possibility btw), basic life began forming here.
in the process of doing it's thing life froze the planet twice nearly losing out and coming back from the brink, however eventually it was able to maintain the planet in a state where it could exist and evolve.

basically life forms on a planet with good basic conditions then terraforms it to suit it's self over time maintaining that process constantly.
the first couple billion years are key because they determine if it's going to work or not, if it does, you have a planet with life on it.
if not then you end up with a dead world that was potentially habbitable (see human terraforming targets).

it's rather interesting actually and it's easy to see how this could play out the universe over.
word count: 230