Do you think a video game with rape should be illegal?

Come here to talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Lex Luthor

Do you think a video game with rape should be illegal?

Post by Lex Luthor »

Let's say, and I believe someone actually did it which is why I'm bringing this up, a developer made a game where you rape people for the heck of it to complete missions.

Do you think such games should be illegal?

I think a developer once tried to submit a game with such a thing at the Steam marketplace and it was removed / rejected. The developer sort of fought back and questioned why it was removed, since violence/killing is illegal yet it's commonly seen in video games.

So now I ask you, do you think a video game with rape should be illegal or not?
word count: 109
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I'm torn on the subject. While it's a game I'd never play, the game might be intended to expose rape as a problem, depending on how it goes about things. In general, I think it's mostly just in bad taste- it's not necessarily any less legal than violent games.
word count: 54
Kyng

Post by Kyng »

I don't think it should necessarily be illegal; however, I'd hope every reputable store would refuse to stock it. I'd certainly never play it myself.
word count: 28

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Lex Luthor

Post by Lex Luthor »

Juneberry wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am I'm torn on the subject. While it's a game I'd never play, the game might be intended to expose rape as a problem, depending on how it goes about things. In general, I think it's mostly just in bad taste- it's not necessarily any less legal than violent games.
It might expose it as a problem, but it can also promote it and influence people? I guess it all depends on how they made it. Still kind of sick :(
word count: 93
MeowsePad

Post by MeowsePad »

There was a game called RapeLay that caused quite a bit of controversy some time ago. Basically, the protagonist of the game stalks and rapes a woman and her daughter.

Legislating what can be included in creative works is never a good idea. Nobody gets hurt by a creative work including rape, so there's no reason it should be illegal.
word count: 61
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

MeowsePad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:32 am Nobody gets hurt by a creative work including rape, so there's no reason it should be illegal.
I think the reason for concern here has to do with people who are more or less easily persuaded by games that certain things are safe or okay. There may be people who use the game to deal with urges to do such things- in which case, that's awesome- but some people get a bite of their urges from a game and end up doing (or trying to do) what they could in said game. So to me, what might be better is making the game illegal only to certain people/players, rather than the maker. For example, a mental health check and a check of any arrests. Or maybe a prescription for the people who have had their doctors recommend the game to fight urges.
word count: 154
lonelyhollowdays

Post by lonelyhollowdays »

Juneberry wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am I'm torn on the subject. While it's a game I'd never play, the game might be intended to expose rape as a problem, depending on how it goes about things. In general, I think it's mostly just in bad taste- it's not necessarily any less legal than violent games.
It could totally tackle some sort of social issues or whatnot, I agree - even if it’s not explicitly shown, it could be a part that plays an important role in the development of the storyline.

Don’t forget that Japan for instance has extremely low rape rates yet is probably one of the most tolerant of what some people consider the sexualisation or under-18s. While countries with strict laws on sexual stuff, tend to have far more shocking abuse rates overall... fictional characters and whatnot could be used as a lesson on IRL morality or some kind of “relief” for those who have desires for stuff, but wouldn’t be able to commit to considered abusive things in real life... (though, I quite strongly consider myself a lolicon so maybe I’m missing the point)
word count: 200
Tagobs

Post by Tagobs »

It's a difficult question. I'd like to put the point of creative freedom aside, and rather take an utilitarian point of view. Then the question has a lot in common with problems like whether sex dolls that look like children should be allowed, and I think the answer to both those questions rely on some empirical data I do not know if exists.

What I'm pointing towards is whether
a. The simulation of rape in a game (or the doll mimicking a child) can make (potential) rapists or (potential) pedophiles get out whatever they need to get out, so that in turn the amounts of rape or child abuse in real life goes down, or
b. The simulation of rape (or the doll mimicking a child) gives such persons a taste of more, maybe even leading people who would never rape to do just that.

As I said, I'm not sure if there are any evidence proving the one or the other to be true. If games or dolls can be used preventively, I'd say go for it! But if the case is the opposite, turning more people into assaulters, I'd be much more skeptical.
word count: 201
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

Kyng wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 pm I don't think it should necessarily be illegal; however, I'd hope every reputable store would refuse to stock it. I'd certainly never play it myself.
^ This is probably the best solution. Don't make it illegal only because it's violates your freedom but have almost every store refuse to stock it. Which I can guarantee that's what would happen. Retailers care about their image more than you think. It's like people who are subject to people claiming they were racist and such on news channels have to get on and apologize or resign for fear of losing there job. Most retailers would never accept this type of game.
word count: 123
slooroo

Post by slooroo »

Illegal? No. Encouraged? No. Technically rape games exist anyway.
word count: 9