Operating System you use

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

Spook of the lost wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:23 pm so depending on what I'm doing I now use a mixture of linux, windows 8.1 and OSX snow leoppard.

I picked up a 2008 macbook that works great for general use, I game on windows and linux, and I also use linux for wide ranging hardware compatibility.
Do you ever duel boot or setup the operating systems to run on the same computer? That's an idea if your computer is genuinely not slow. Also you could setup virtual machine VM box for that too and maybe run CentOS or Ubuntu on the VM for Linux.

What distribution of Linux do you use?
word count: 117
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

TopSilver wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:04 pm Do you ever duel boot or setup the operating systems to run on the same computer? That's an idea if your computer is genuinely not slow. Also you could setup virtual machine VM box for that too and maybe run CentOS or Ubuntu on the VM for Linux.

What distribution of Linux do you use?
I've definitely done both of those before.

Virtual machines are great for trying an os, or trying out a tweak before you do it with real hardware, they have save states.

However I prefer bare metal when possible, an old MacBook is great for running osx legit due to its walled garden hardware requirements.

I'm currently dual booting on two machines. My 64bit main system dual boots windows 8.1 and source mage Linux, my favorite used to be Debian but I found and came to love the quirks of source mage.
My other dual boot system is a 32bit one for old hardware/software compatibility, it runs windows xp and dos 7.1.

I usually dual boot using separate drives to avoid problems, allows me to select the os using the bios and means there's no weird boot loader issues from the second os, which I've had mess up windows and Linux in the past.

Besides, $240gb solid state drives are $25 now, so it's insane how cheap it is to run an is this way with shared storage.
word count: 250
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Yumika

Post by Yumika »

Tried a lot of distros out there, but most of them just didn't click. I used to like Ubuntu and its spinoffs (like GNU/Linux Mint), but I've decided to move on. I'm now proudly using Devuan, which is basically Debian without Systemd (it's an init and service manager).

I don't distro hop anymore, but if I'm ever interested in trying out a live boot, I'll just fire up my VM.
word count: 78