What type of keyboard do you prefer?

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
Spook of the lost

What type of keyboard do you prefer?

Post by Spook of the lost »

What type of keyboard do you prefer for writing/typing on?

personally I like mechanical keyboards, and specifically IBM model M keyboards because I can type at full speed without issue, plus the click sounds very... hacker-ish.

but I know there's a variety of keyboards out there, membrane, magnetic, wood, hybrid, buckling spring and switch based mechanicals...
and of course laser projected keyboards. :lol:

so what's your preference?
word count: 70
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

Mechanical keyboards, I've always been curious about. But as I use lap tops, I just use whatever keyboard it has.
word count: 21
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Like Megan, I just use the keyboard that's part of my laptop. I don't currently have a working desktop, but I do know we have wired keyboards to go with one which hopefully will be usable again someday. But personally, I'm fine with the laptop keyboard... Though I'm a bit miffed that with mine I have to press function to do the usual F5 and such.
word count: 70
Spook of the lost

@ juneberry.

in the bios you can reverse that so you need to press it for the volume/brightness, etc functions instead.
I think there's also an option in the operating system settings?

The main reason I use mechanical is because I type at 110 to 120 wpm fairly consistently once I get caught into something I'm working on, for me membrane and laptop keyboards have a tendency to wear out too fast because they can't stand up to the force and rate I type at, plus I end up usually with a bit of lag where I have to pause for a moment to let the text on the screen catch up... it's actually kind of surreal.

I've not had a chance to use any hybrid keyboards though so I can't really say on those.
word count: 141
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

My dad and mom always hated when I used their computer. I typed fast and made so much noise. XD
word count: 20
Spook of the lost

@ Megan, haha I hear that, I actually use mechanical keyboards at my job too, had to bring them in.
though for some reason the rapid typing makes people feel less worried when I'm writing out support tickets... maybe holywood hacker tropes has helped me some how? lol.
word count: 48