Your favorite word(s)

You're free to talk about anything writing related here. Talk plot, talk revision- literally anything related to writing!
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your favorite word(s)

Post by Juneberry »

So let's face it- we all work with words, and most of us because we love them. But it's hard to love one just the same as the other, isn't it? I know I pick favorites when it comes to the words I use or just find amusing. So, what are your words that you just can't help beaming when you see them? I'm super curious and interested!

For me, I have a number of favorites, but the one on my mind right now is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. I like the irony in it, as that word is the word for 'fear of long words'. I also love it for its parts: each one has a distinct reason for having to do with the meaning, and there's a ton of parts you just kind of know mean 'big' throughout it. It's just fascinating to me!

Other words I love:
-Discombobulated
-Baffled
-Charisma
-Enigma
-Misfit
word count: 159
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

It a word but a sound: Dook!
word count: 7
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I think onomatopoeia count as words. I mean, we can write them and it counts, so why not call it a word?
word count: 22
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

Astrobiology
Existential
Void
Regolith
Synthesize
most of the word have to do with space stuff lol, the last one though I've just always liked the word, synthesize, it has a sort of buzzing sound to it.
word count: 37
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I agree, synthesize is a great word. I also like the word synchronize, which has a similar sound to it.
word count: 20