Share your desktop/home screen

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

actually not so much, I like to use openbox as a base because it's so minimalist, it's the desktop, and you can right click on a blank space for a start menu.
then you add in a window manager (of which there are dozens), and whatever tools you want choosing the colors, fonts, and icons as needed.
it's a lot like designing a website actually only simpler.
with a lot of tinkering though you eventually get some really cool stuff.

for the linux interface I have up there, a lot of it is command line windows running textmode applications because it's both insanely light weight as far as memory and cpu goes and because it looks cool in the way I was aiming for.

plus my main PC has a touchscreen so that onscreen keyboard is fully functional!
word count: 142
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I don't know much about the version of Windows you're using. That's 10, right? You're actually teaching me for when I finally have a new laptop sometime in the next month. I'm still on Windows 7- and I know that 10 looks fairly similar yet different.

And that's awesome that you essentially designed your own keyboard to fit with the abilities of your machine! :D
word count: 70
Spook of the lost

8.1 actually, I'm holding off on 10 after I found out that microsoft plans to make windows into an OS that you need to pay a monthly fee to use.
word count: 32
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Wait, seriously? That's their plan? I should probably warn my dad...
word count: 12
Spook of the lost

it's not happened yet but it's in the works.
they'll probably give people a choice, sign up and continue to get system updates or don't and stay with the last supported version.
word count: 36
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I see! I was worried in general because most laptops these days come with W10 and that'd mean trouble if it's all versions or something of the sort.
word count: 30
Spook of the lost

yeah no it's more like, the computers will come with a "free trial" version of windows and if you want your computer to be secure you pay the monthly fee.
it's sort of like computer extortion in a way except there's alternatives so it's not?
word count: 49
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I feel like this deserves its own thread. It's a really interesting topic in general- but we're kinda hogging all the space for people to post pictures, and I'm worried they'll try not to in consideration of us.
word count: 42
Spook of the lost

indeed... and to draw this back on topic.

my phone's desktop
word count: 12
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I love that picture! It's quite charming! My phone's turn!
Spoiler!
Screenshot_20190724-202404.png
Screenshot_20190724-202404.png (182.49 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Screenshot_20190724-202413.png
Screenshot_20190724-202413.png (207.74 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Sharing two to show the cat moving around. ^^; They're in spoiler because big images.
word count: 48