Operating System you use

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
Darth-Apple

Post by Darth-Apple »

Using CMD instead of CTRL is very interesting on the Mac. I'm very much used to it now, but if I ever jump to a Windows machine, it takes some adjustment for me. :P
word count: 34
Makestation Forums - Creative arts community
Saturn-Moon.com - A modern day time capsule (under construction)
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

[mention]Darth-Apple[/mention] that threw me off too when I started more heavily using the macbook I got, took some getting used to because there's only one mouse button.
word count: 31
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

I currently use Windows 10 but I have to say, it's quite an issue with some of their updates causing problems. One time I had my keyboard stop working. And another time my Internet wifi signal got bad. Currently my wifi signal has been cutting out a bit and has caused an issue. But on the brighter note the operating system actually is a really good one. Much better than MacOS in my personal opinion. It's user friendly and there are a lot of nice options about it.
word count: 90
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

TopSilver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:28 am I currently use Windows 10 but I have to say, it's quite an issue with some of their updates causing problems. One time I had my keyboard stop working. And another time my Internet wifi signal got bad. Currently my wifi signal has been cutting out a bit and has caused an issue. But on the brighter note the operating system actually is a really good one. Much better than MacOS in my personal opinion. It's user friendly and there are a lot of nice options about it.
I've had issues like the keyboard not working too- but I think that's more of a problem with my laptop itself rather than the OS. Other issues I've had include a flickering orange hue on my screen, my fingerprint reader has never worked, and sometimes my camera program doesn't record like it's supposed to. Could any of those be OS related, you think?
word count: 167
TopSilver

Post by TopSilver »

Juneberry wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 am
TopSilver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:28 am I currently use Windows 10 but I have to say, it's quite an issue with some of their updates causing problems. One time I had my keyboard stop working. And another time my Internet wifi signal got bad. Currently my wifi signal has been cutting out a bit and has caused an issue. But on the brighter note the operating system actually is a really good one. Much better than MacOS in my personal opinion. It's user friendly and there are a lot of nice options about it.
I've had issues like the keyboard not working too- but I think that's more of a problem with my laptop itself rather than the OS. Other issues I've had include a flickering orange hue on my screen, my fingerprint reader has never worked, and sometimes my camera program doesn't record like it's supposed to. Could any of those be OS related, you think?
There's a chance the keyboard not working could be OS related though I'm not entirely sure. If there were signs of why it wasn't working then there's a chance it was the computer itself and not the operating system. But this was a known bug for Windows 10. I saw on other forums where loads of people had the same problem. I ended up fixing the issue by editing a key in the registry which to my surprise actually worked. Was a tutorial I followed on the web.
word count: 268
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

TopSilver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:43 am There's a chance the keyboard not working could be OS related though I'm not entirely sure. If there were signs of why it wasn't working then there's a chance it was the computer itself and not the operating system. But this was a known bug for Windows 10. I saw on other forums where loads of people had the same problem. I ended up fixing the issue by editing a key in the registry which to my surprise actually worked. Was a tutorial I followed on the web.
In my case, most of my glitches are fixed by restarting my computer o.o;
word count: 116
MofaMF

Post by MofaMF »

Yeah, I have had to re-install a few drivers after updates to fix lights and such on a keyboard at the beginning but their updates are much better now.
word count: 30
Spook of the lost

see this is why I use old school PS/2 mechancial keyboards lol.

the drivers have been around forever, just work, and they work at the bios level too so I don't have to worry about anything and just type as fast as I want.
word count: 46
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I currently use Windows 10, but i've used various versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OSX in the past. :)
word count: 20
Spook of the lost

so depending on what I'm doing I now use a mixture of linux, windows 8.1 and OSX snow leoppard.

I picked up a 2008 macbook that works great for general use, I game on windows and linux, and I also use linux for wide ranging hardware compatibility.
word count: 49