Operating System you use

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

I've heard of one note before but I don't use it personally.
honestly I do not know of any good counterparts to that piece of MS office software.
word count: 30
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I know a couple, luckily. I've been trying out various writing programs for a long while, and onenote for me was crucial to storing all my data. So, when I had to stop using it, I started seeking out others on the internet and found at least a few that worked really well.
word count: 54
Spook of the lost

when I do write on occasion I like to use sticky notes, pins, string, and a cork board when I'm working on how things link together in my head.
same with when I'm working on ideas and tinkering with stuff...
so that's probably why I've never really used one net.
I'm more... physical and visual I suppose?
word count: 62
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
MeowsePad

Post by MeowsePad »

I just set up Windows XP on a separate box for a variety of uses. :D I know you guys will tell me that it's outdated and dangerous to use, but it is not connected to the Internet at all, so it shouldn't be an issue.
word count: 47
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

MeowsePad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm I just set up Windows XP on a separate box for a variety of uses. :D I know you guys will tell me that it's outdated and dangerous to use, but it is not connected to the Internet at all, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Rather than being worried, I'm more curious what you intend to do with it!
word count: 71
Spook of the lost

@ MeowsePad: Same, my retrogaming box runs dual boot DOS 7.1/XP.
there's a lot of stuff a modern 64bit system will not run and XP is insanely stable... if a bit dated as far as software it can run.
word count: 41
Lex Luthor

Post by Lex Luthor »

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 earlier this month. I always use Windows for my personal-use computers.
word count: 19
bharath

Post by bharath »

I am still with XP as it was one of light weight for old systems. I had Windows vista, but probably it is a bad system and installed xp on that too.
I will try to get a newer system this time with 64 bit so I can able to run most software.
word count: 53
MofaMF

Post by MofaMF »

I'm currently on Windows 10 and not sure why it get's so much stick. Linux is good but I hate MacOS.
word count: 23
Spook of the lost

Honestly it's user preference, most people are used to windows, I know when I first started using Linux I was drawn to kde because of its similar interface.

As far as Mac is goes, I'd say my biggest hurdle is that it's designed around a single button mouse, so Ctrl +click takes some getting used to. Beyond that it's the fact that it runs on specialized and expensive hardware which while powerful isn't necessarily what most end users want. If you want cheap and easy to use, get a pre built system running Windows. If you want a system that you can tinker with build your own and try Linux. If you want to game build a good one and pick the os best suited for you. Finally if you want something dedicated to a serious creativity suite or are looking for a no nonsense system that just works, or just want a windows alternative that doesn't require fussing around Mac is a good option.

Of course I'll always pick Linux, but that's personal preference, that and it will run on damn near anything, the ISS, the mars Rovers, my Xbox... Anything.
word count: 200