AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

[mention]Juneberry[/mention] All sorts, metal puzzles are fun, wooden box puzzles are pretty cool.

A long time ago because I was looking for more and more challenges I started getting into both lock picking which is legitimately a kind of puzzle, and hacking puzzles which are way more fun than actual hacking.

For example, real hacking is a lot of social engineering and knowing how to bypass stuff. Meanwhile stuff like hack this site and ctf hacking puzzles are more like a mixture of find the flaw/password, algorithmic decryption, and just poking around systems designed to be a challenge. It's a much healthier and more challenging outlet in the vein of traditional hacker mindsets than what most modern "hackers"(read crackers) actually do.

It's actually why I got into hardware hacking/modding. Because as you tinker with something and figure out how it works you see tangible results and more possibilities open up to you. Something as simple as figuring out how a game console goes into debug mode for example allows someone to figure but the encryption and use it for more than it's intended purpose, for example, my Nintendo Wii can actually play DVD movies. Nintendo never supported or licensed this ability but the hardware is capable of it. For a long time it was how I watched them! It also streams internet radio and I can write basic games for it so it and my old school original x box were kind of my first experiences in it.
word count: 256
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

What's the hardest puzzle you've ever solved (in your opinion, obviously!)
word count: 13
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

Currently? Picking the lock to my living quarters successfully and consistently. I completely forgot I'd replaced it with a pick proof lock years ago and had to find that out the hard way, and how to get around it ^_^
word count: 40
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche