What mistakes do you commonly make?

You're free to talk about anything writing related here. Talk plot, talk revision- literally anything related to writing!
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

What mistakes do you commonly make?

Post by Juneberry »

It was brought to my attention that the third of March is National Grammar Day, and it made me think... How is my grammar when I write? I'm an editor, but I'm not near perfect as a writer. Hell, I'm sure my editing still needs work too- there's always room for improvement. But, in order to grow as writers, I think it's a good thing to recognize the errors we make on a regular basis for ourselves. So, are there any you notice you make a lot?

For me, it's all about commas. I vary my oxford comma use a lot, and I just overuse them in general. I also use some notably common words a lot. I have major overuse of he said/she said, so to speak! I do a lot of dialogue, so that's a big issue to me.

What are some grammar or wording issues you have that you want to work on? I'm curious what different writers deem problematic differently from others!
word count: 175
Aeowulf

Post by Aeowulf »

I overuse commas as well, but the Oxford comma is not a mistake. People that don't use it are making the mistake.

I seem to start sentences with 'but' and 'and' which apparently is a no-no.
word count: 38
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

You'll find a lot of editors (myself included) say not to worry about the Fanboys rule (the rule about starting with but and and), Also the oxford comma is a common debate and for many years I was against it because it didn't sound right when I spoke a sentence with one (because I speak weirdly, I think). So in personal work, I wasn't using it forever, and then work suddenly made me, so now my brain is getting in the habit of both using it and not using it... but mostly using it.
word count: 97
Aeowulf

Post by Aeowulf »

Its a must! It can cause some understanding issues if not used, and there's actually been legislation that was loopholed because of its lack of use in a state in the 1800s (dont remember which).
word count: 36
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I never knew about that little factoid! Thank you for teaching me it!
word count: 13
CherryBlossom

Post by CherryBlossom »

I am not very good with words that sound the same but are spelled differently and I've never been that great at grammar but spell checker is a lot better now so really helps me out with my writing more now.
word count: 42
^Borders and text added by me^