What medium do you use?

Whether you want to talk about supplies or how you get inspired, this is the place to talk all things art!
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

What medium do you use?

Post by Juneberry »

I'm not much of an artist myself- my skills are more notable in writing. However, even I love to make art, and I have my preferences of what medium I do it with... So, what do you guys use?

For my digital art, I usually use ComiPo, my manga making program- but, that's not working right now. I've recently started playing with GIMP though!
For traditional art, I'm partial to colored pencils. I still can't find my favorite set, which was a Prismacolor set of watercolor colored pencils. I loved the finish!
word count: 97
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

Traditional art usually just an art pencil, then go over in ink, and color with colored pencils. Love prismacolur as well!

As for digital I usually use Photoshop Elements. Sometimes I'll use a mouse, but I also use a tablet.
word count: 41
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I can't find my prismacolor unfortunately, but I have some good hand-me-down faber castillo pencils and another set that isn't any brand in particular but has a cool case that you can roll up to take out with you. Honestly my main problem is erasers. I still mostly have the erasers from childhood that had designs on them and were hard to work with to do the job. I want one of those moldable erasers someday.
word count: 80
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

Juneberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 pm I can't find my prismacolor unfortunately, but I have some good hand-me-down faber castillo pencils and another set that isn't any brand in particular but has a cool case that you can roll up to take out with you. Honestly my main problem is erasers. I still mostly have the erasers from childhood that had designs on them and were hard to work with to do the job. I want one of those moldable erasers someday.
Really? Have you tried online? Or at like a craft store or something? I know most in my area have em. They're expensive, but so worth it.

Moldable erasers are fun. I used to play with em in class. I have a small assortment of art ones myself. XD Honestly got a giant box full of stuff. One of my favorite things though are woodless pencils.
word count: 156
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Megan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 pm Really? Have you tried online? Or at like a craft store or something? I know most in my area have em. They're expensive, but so worth it.

Moldable erasers are fun. I used to play with em in class. I have a small assortment of art ones myself. XD Honestly got a giant box full of stuff. One of my favorite things though are woodless pencils.
I can't easily get to a craft shop as is. I was hoping the dollar store nearby that is in my walking distance would have something along those lines, but... Sadly not. I didn't realize they're generally expensive.
word count: 117
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

Juneberry wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm
Megan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 pm Really? Have you tried online? Or at like a craft store or something? I know most in my area have em. They're expensive, but so worth it.

I can't easily get to a craft shop as is. I was hoping the dollar store nearby that is in my walking distance would have something along those lines, but... Sadly not. I didn't realize they're generally expensive.
Ah. Yeah most of our stores aren't within walking distance really.

I got my set as a gift so I'm not 100% what it cost. That and too lazy to look it up. XD They tend to range from $20-80 or more.Depends on the set. Also had some I was lent from my brother some years back which introduced me to em.
word count: 192
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Are we talking about the price of Prismacolor or the moldable eraser? I've lost track and am trying to imagine how amazing an 80 buck eraser must be.
word count: 29
Megan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Megan »

Juneberry wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:48 pm Are we talking about the price of Prismacolor or the moldable eraser? I've lost track and am trying to imagine how amazing an 80 buck eraser must be.
XD Nah, prismacolur. The eraser I don't think is too expensive. Probably a few dollars. I forget how much. Sometimes you can find it in a set of other art erasers too.
word count: 71
Lammchen

Post by Lammchen »

I'll use all the traditional mediums but my personal favorites are pastels (colored chalk). I still have the same set I used in art school and I'm glad that they've lasted so long because they aren't cheap. A lot of my clients have asked for pencil portraits and ink but the ink ones are so hard to do because one mistake and you're done and have to start over.
word count: 74
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Pastels can be quite messy, but they truly are fun to work with. I remember when I first tried it, I basically felt like a kid again drawing on the sidewalk! :D
word count: 31