Do you think everyone should be armed with a gun in America?

Come here to talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Lex Luthor

Do you think everyone should be armed with a gun in America?

Post by Lex Luthor »

I mean, everywhere you go. It could be to the store, to a convention, a party, or even school.

Do you think once you've over the age of 18 or 21, you should be allowed to carry a gun in EVERY state regardless of where you go, with the intention of protecting yourself?

A week or two ago, I saw a tweet about how they allowed you to arm yourself with guns when going to a college. I thought that was crazy, but from the way people make it seem, the US is all about guns and everyone should have one to "protect themselves". What do you think?
word count: 109
Kyng

Post by Kyng »

Well, not *everyone*. There needs to be background checks, for criminals and mental health stuff.

But, my view on guns in America is basically "it is what it is". I consider myself to be neither pro-gun nor anti-gun; however, I don't think banning them would work from a practical point of view.
word count: 55

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I agree with Kyng. To be honest, I'd never want to have a gun in general, but I think for people that do want guns, it should be done with as much deep investigation of the person so that the likelihood of it being used, especially in situations a gun isn't practical for, don't happen as often.
word count: 60
Lex Luthor

Post by Lex Luthor »

What if you have a clean record or you have a mental illness but never bothered seeking help? (which regularly happens because people with them are afraid to admit they even have 'em)

What happens if someone get ticked off at another student in school and they got super angry?
word count: 50
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

If a kid gets super angry and pulls out a gun just from being a bit ticked, I'd worry about the system to avoid weapons getting into schools to begin with.
Then again, I've heard of someone try to commit suicide with a pencil when I was in the mental hospital for a ten day stint.
word count: 58
JennyorAlice

Post by JennyorAlice »

If you're a law abiding citizen and you don't have any mental health issues, I don't see the problem with owning a gun. In my state, they do issue a concealed handgun carry permit but there are certain laws that you have to obey though. They don't allow you to carry in certain places or do certain things.
word count: 62
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

honestly I think rather than owning a gun martial arts should be part of the middle to high school PE curriculum.
Self defence training along with mental focus is a great idea and with the increase in gun violence in schools it would probably help in the long run.
word count: 49
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Spook of the lost wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 pm honestly I think rather than owning a gun martial arts should be part of the middle to high school PE curriculum.
Self defence training along with mental focus is a great idea and with the increase in gun violence in schools it would probably help in the long run.
I agree kids should take a martial arts class, though I'm not sure if I like it just being a small part of the curriculum. I think it'd be better for consistent training, some way or another. Either way though, it won't stop kids from finding guns... ><
word count: 111
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost »

no but on the up side, a classroom full of students with martial arts training vs 1 gunman... I like the odds.

let's put it this way.

in japan, they just had an arsen that killed like 33 people recently.
that was the worst mass murder in japanese history since WWII

in japan martial arts are at least an optional part of their studies and also a key part of their culture.
I'm not sure if it's the discipline or something else but obviously there's something that's making it more difficult for incidents like columbine to happen there.

just a thought.

as for the whole gun issue?
well while I don't agree with carrying guns everywhere (and yes I'm american).
I do think that owning a rifle or handgun in your home for practical reasons is probably a good idea.
I personally own a crossbow and 5ft bow staff along with tazer Knuckles.
mostly because they augment my own fighting style but also because they're good in CQC and my home has a lot of tight corridors.
word count: 185
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

You guys are making me worry because I can't stand guns (I'd need a silencer that works realllly well, 'cause i already wear the headphones you often see at shooting ranges just for conversations with people)... And I haven't been keeping up with my at home karate practice. Also the only 'defense' i have is pepper spray. >> Pepper spray and clutter.
word count: 64