Any tips for Windows 10?

Come here to talk all things computers, gadgets, internet and then some!
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any tips for Windows 10?

Post by Juneberry »

I'm getting a new laptop soon and the one thing I'm worried about is getting used to the new OS. I've been working with Windows 7 a long time, and so I'm a little nervous starting fresh with Windows 10 (Though hopefully it'll let me use my comic program better while I continue fighting their tech support). Who here uses Windows 10? Any tips for a newbie to the OS to make it easier to get used to?
word count: 83
Ravenfreak

Post by Ravenfreak »

The transition between 7 and 10 wasn't too bad for myself, though I'm used to using 10 now. I will say this, the start menu looks completely different from 7's. You'll see apps installed on the right side and the left side will have your programs in alphabetical order. I also recommend trying to back things up if a update doesn't install properly. I wish I did this, because the laptop I'm on now needed Windows to be reinstalled because of the 1803 update not installing correctly. >_>
word count: 93
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Ravenfreak wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:51 am I also recommend trying to back things up if a update doesn't install properly. I wish I did this, because the laptop I'm on now needed Windows to be reinstalled because of the 1803 update not installing correctly. >_>
Dad intends to make a partition to act as a backup and have it backup every day when I'm asleep. ^^; Thanks for warning me about the menu! :o That would confuse me a lot.
word count: 83
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

It's not too different from Windows 7 IMHO. Then again, I've used every version of Windows since 95. :P I would definitely find a way to keep it backed up though as stated previously. :)
word count: 35
MeowsePad

Post by MeowsePad »

Windows 10 has a lot more in common with Windows 7 than Windows 8.1 as far as the user interface goes. I don't think you'll have too much trouble adjusting to Windows 10. You can still pin things to your taskbar, and Windows 10 has a fully functional start menu. If you find the start menu in 10 confusing, you can always get a program called Classic Shell (easy to find with a quick Google search) which will add a Windows 7-style start menu to Windows 10.
word count: 91
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

MeowsePad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 am If you find the start menu in 10 confusing, you can always get a program called Classic Shell (easy to find with a quick Google search) which will add a Windows 7-style start menu to Windows 10.
Thanks! I'll have to keep this in mind!
word count: 56
Nerdface

Post by Nerdface »

Juneberry wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 am
MeowsePad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 am If you find the start menu in 10 confusing, you can always get a program called Classic Shell (easy to find with a quick Google search) which will add a Windows 7-style start menu to Windows 10.
Thanks! I'll have to keep this in mind!
I wouldn't recommend it, since it's no longer being actively developed due to constant breakages following WIndows updates.

We decided to remove it from our Windows image at work as it was starting to cause issues with Windows Explorer crashing, and although I never experienced this issue at home I decided to remove it anyway..
word count: 122
Nerdface
No one messes around with a nerd’s computer and escapes unscathed.
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Knowing my luck, windows explorer will crash regularly anyway. It already does on this computer xD
word count: 16